Pony of the Year (POTY)
PONY OF THE YEAR 2020
The 2020 Pony of the Year competition did not take place due to Covid-19.
All ponies who qualified after the 2019 Pony of the Year competition was held will be eligible to enter the 2021 competition in the appropriate class.
Qualifying shows will be breed area shows, those area shows nominated by area rep where no area show occurs, the breed show, and any county level or championship show which meets the criteria set out on the show affiliation application forms.
To complete at the final, which will be held at the Midlands Exmoor Pony Show which is being held at Rugby Riding Club (date to be confirmed) the following must apply
1. Pony must have received a qualifying rosette, (results will be checked with the shows hosting qualifiers)
2. The exhibitor or owner must be a member of the Exmoor Pony Society
3. The Pony must be in the correct ownership (if a qualified pony changes hand mid season the qualifier will go with the pony provided the owner at entry is an eps member and the transfer of ownership has been completed) if a pony is on loan then then this must be recorded with the eps secretary. Again this information will be checked.
4. Pony must be registered in section 1 of the studbook
At the final there will be 3 classes
- Class 1 youngstock 3yrs & under
- Class 2 senior (4yrs & over) in hand
- Class 3 ridden (4yrs & over) lead rein entries if qualified on the lead rein are accepted
Classes will be placed and rosettes will be awarded up to 6th place.
Champion & Reserve rosettes will also be awarded to all 3 sections and an overall sash for the Supreme Champion will be awarded.
All rosettes and sash have again been sponsored by Sashes by Kate and we are extremely grateful for her support and generosity.
Qualifying Shows for POTY 2020
Due to the Covid 19 pandemic, the Pony of the Year competition will not take place in 2020.
Those ponies who qualified in 2019, will be allowed to enter the 2021 final in the class that is appropriate for their age on the date of the competition.
Pony of the Year 2019
Judge: Mrs H Sykes
Pony of the Year 2018
Judge: Mr M DewhurstResults:
Senior In Hand – Edwinsfield Move Over Darling
Youngstock In Hand – Dunkery Black Grouse
Ridden – Dunkery Hornbill
Overall Champion Pony of the Year – Edwinsfield Move Over Darling
Pony of the Year 2016
Judge: Mr D J T Brewer
Senior: Warrenmere Woodcock and overall Reserve Champion
Youngstock: Moonpenny Fantasia
Ridden: Eddra Chillies and overall Champion
Pony of the Year 2015
Judge: Mr J D Lee
IN HAND SENIOR
Champion: Cosmic Juno
Reserve: Edwinsfield Nocturne
Champion: Moonpenny Fantasia
Champion: Blackthorn Poem
Reserve: Anchor Fairytale
SUPREME: Cosmic Juno
RESERVE: Moonpenny Fantasia
Pony of the Year 2014
Judge: Mrs A Western
Champion: Cider Apple (J Westcott)
Reserve: Warrenmere Woodcock (E Etchells)
Champion: Bournefield Tudor Rose (P Ward-Burton)
Reserve: Edwinsfield Adagio (D Woodward)
Champion: Cosmic Lacerta (G Whetter)
Reserve: Eddra Chillies (H Rogers)
SUPREME CHAMPION: Cider Apple
RESERVE: Warrenmere Woodcock
Pony of the Year 2013
Judge: Mrs R Thomas
CHAMPION: Dunkery Wigeon (M Richardson)
RESERVE: Cider Apple (A Westcott)
BEST YOUNGSTOCK: Beinnliath None But The Brave (F Dickson)
Mrs Sue McGeever, The Secretary,
Exmoor Pony Society, Woodmans, Brithem Bottom,
Cullompton, Devon, EX15 1NB
Tel: (01884) 839930